October 28, 2020
A Message from our Vice President
We hope this message finds you and your family in good health. Our community has been through a lot this year, and all of us are looking forward to resuming our normal habits and routines. While many things have changed, one thing has remained the same at Burke: our commitment to excellence and to the health and safety of our patients.
I want to take this opportunity to make sure you all are aware of several exciting things that are planned for the Outpatient Division over the next few weeks and months.
Outpatient Main Campus
The current outpatient therapy location at the main campus will be undergoing a retrofit and renovations to allow for the space to be opened up, modernized, and better prepared to handle the complex types of rehabilitation patients we see at the main campus. The closure of Building #8 will last approximately 8 months and be effective as of Thursday, October 29th with an expected re-opening in the summer of 2021.
During the renovation period, therapy will continue to be offered at the following locations:
- The Billings Building (Building #4 at the main campus) in the space formerly occupied by the Burke Fitness Center, across the hall from the new physician practice location
- Our new Elmsford satellite facility scheduled to open in the beginning of November
- Any of our other 8 existing locations in Armonk, Purchase, Mamaroneck, Yonkers, Somers, or the Bronx
Temporary Home for Main Campus Outpatient Rehabilitation Services- Billings Building (#4)
As of November 2nd, outpatient services for physical, occupational, and speech therapies as well as social work will be re-located to the Fitness Center space on the 1st floor of the Billings Building.
New Elmsford Location
We will be opening our 9th offsite outpatient location on November 2nd at 555 Taxter Road in Elmsford, which is about a 15-minute drive from the main campus. This location will offer multidisciplinary (PT/OT/SP) care.
Burke Fitness Center
The Burke Fitness Center will move to the Sports Center and re-open in early November on a by appointment only basis, following all of the guidelines and precautions recommended by New York State.
Patient and Staff Safety
Patient safety and health has always been a top priority for Burke. We want to update you regarding the procedures we will add to our already comprehensive protocol to continue to keep all patients and staff safe. Burke follows infection control recommendations made by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the New York State Department of Health, and the Montefiore Health System. We do this to make sure that our infection control procedures are the most current and adhere to each agencies’ recommendations.
You will continue to see the infection control standards and procedures set forth this spring at your appointments:
- Questionnaire and temperature screening at an automated Readiness Rounds station.
- Social distancing measures will be implemented.
- Upon arrival, you will be brought directly into the treatment area when possible, or be asked to wait in your car/outside until your appointment time. We will communicate with you by cell phone because waiting room space will be limited.
- Hand sanitizer will be available throughout our facilities.
- All Burke therapists will be wearing appropriate personal protective equipment.
- All gym equipment and treatment rooms will be cleaned and disinfected before and after each patient appointment.
- All patients must wear face coverings when entering Burke facilities. A mask will be provided to you if you forget to bring one.
- Waiting areas will no longer offer magazines, business cards/brochures and so forth, since those items are difficult to clean and disinfect.
- We will do our best to allow greater time between patients to reduce waiting times for you, as well as to reduce the number of patients entering our facilities at the same time.
We ask that you come alone to your appointment, or with one other person. Unless required to be a part of the therapy sessions, we ask that companions wait outside the building or in their car during therapy appointments.
We look forward to seeing you and are happy to answer any questions you may have about the steps we take to keep you, and every patient, safe in our care. Please reach out to your outpatient location directly. We value your trust and loyalty now more than ever. We know you have a choice in providers for your rehabilitation needs – Thank you for choosing Burke!
Steven Tisser, PT, MBA
Vice President, Outpatient Services