Outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
*Arthur Potenza was in Burke's inpatient Cardiopulmonary Program and outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation Program.
For several years, the Outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation Program has delivered a multidisciplinary program to help patients with heart disease recover faster and regain full, productive lifestyles through exercise, education and counseling. Our outpatient program is located on Burke's main campus in White Plains. We provide an individualized plan of care designed to enhance the well-being of patients with a wide range of chronic cardiac conditions.
Cardiac conditions we treat include:
- Cardiac valve repair or replacement
- Coronary angioplasty and/or stenting
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Myocardial infarction (heart attack)
- Heart failure
Working with a patient’s cardiologist, our physicians and clinical exercise physiologists develop an extensive plan of care to address each patient’s unique needs. A clinical exercise physiologist reviews each patient’s specific goals in order to develop an optimal program to achieve the patient’s physical and educational needs.
Phases of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
Phase II: Outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation and Outpatient Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Patients are encouraged to participate in our Phase II Outpatient Cardiac Program following hospital discharge or a new cardiac diagnosis. Phase II cardiac rehabilitation consists of a 12 week-program that strives to assist patients in:
- Increasing exercise tolerance
- Reducing symptoms of angina, dyspnea and fatigue
- Improving blood lipid and blood sugar levels
- Reducing weight, smoking and stress
- Improving psychosocial well-being and reducing cardiac mortality
This 12-week program includes:
- 36, one-hour-long sessions (3x/week) of individualized, ECG telemetry-monitored aerobic exercise to promote endurance, health and well-being, and teach patients to assess their tolerance for exercise by developing self-monitoring skills, attending educational seminars on all aspects of cardiac well-being as well as nutritional guidance in adopting a heart-healthy diet.
Phase III: Outpatient Maintenance Program
This phase is a non-ECG monitored program which requires medical clearance. It is offered through the fitness center at Burke and includes an exercise regimen under the expert supervision of Burke’s exercise physiologists and certified fitness instructors.
State-of-the-art cardio and strength equipment, personalized services and educational lectures are provided for both programs.
As part of their individualized treatment plans, cardiac patients have access to an additional broad array of services such as yoga, tai chi, strength training classes and educational opportunities that address specific physical or psychological challenges.
For more information on the programs, fees, or to schedule a visit, call (914) 597-2802.