White Plains, NY, October 8, 2021: Burke Rehabilitation Hospital announced it has received a prestigious three-year accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). The achievement recognizes Burke’s specialized expertise and deep commitment to caring for patients with severe injuries and chronic diseases and improving their quality of life. Burke has received this accreditation, given only to inpatient rehabilitation facilities conforming to the highest standards of patient care, since the late 1990s.
CARF, an international, independent, nonprofit organization, acknowledged Burke’s excellence in the following areas: Hospital Inpatient Rehabilitation Programs for adults, children and adolescents; Inpatient Brain Injury Specialty Programs for adults, children and adolescents; Inpatient Spinal Cord Specialty Programs for adults; Inpatient Stroke Specialty Programs for adults, children and adolescents; and Interdisciplinary Outpatient Medical Rehabilitation Programs: Spinal Cord Specialty Program for adults.
“CARF is the gold standard for rehabilitation medicine, and we are pleased to once again receive this distinction,” said Burke President and CEO Jeffrey Menkes. “Burke Rehabilitation Hospital is committed to providing the best possible care to every patient to achieve maximum recovery, and CARF recognizes our ability to achieve these goals.”
According to the report, those served by Burke Rehabilitation Hospital “expressed gratitude for the organization’s ability to improve their functioning and return them to their communities.” CARF commended Burke for the care provided by team members, the facility and grounds as well as medical directors described as “actively engaged” in programs that support patient rehabilitation.
The committee recognized multiple areas of strength, which include:
- Person-centered leadership practices focused on excellence of service
- Engagement of its Board of Directors
- Dedication, availability, planning, and decision-making of leadership during COVID-19
- The Marsal Caregiver Center
- Solid and reliable financial planning and management
- Thorough and comprehensive IT planning
- Inpatient Therapy Gyms that promote involvement and achievement of goals
- Nursing leadership that encourages career advancement through CRRN certification
- Supportive and caring environment
- Skilled and compassionate care during the COVID-19 crisis
- Thorough and critical review of the COVID-19 pandemic management by health and safety teams
The agency made its recommendations based upon documentation, records, observations, and confidential interviews with current and former patients, administrators, board members and third-party stakeholders including insurers and fiscal intermediaries.
Burke Rehabilitation Hospital is a not-for-profit acute rehabilitation hospital in White Plains, NY. Founded in 1915 through an endowment from philanthropist John Masterson Burke, it is the only hospital in Westchester County dedicated solely to adult rehabilitation medicine. Burke is a member of the Montefiore Health System, Inc. The hospital offers both inpatient and outpatient programs for those who have experienced a disabling illness, traumatic injury, or surgery. For additional information, please visit burke.org.