This month marks 15 years since Burke’s Adult Fitness Center first opened its doors. The gym is designed for adults 40 and older or those with a qualifying disability and aims to provide a comfortable and safe environment for exercise. Along with state-of-the-art exercise machines and weights, there are a whole slew of fitness classes—from tai chi to yoga.
To mark this special occasion, the Fitness Center will be hosting a variety of events from Sept. 13 – 15—which are open to the public. There will be free classes, membership specials for new members and a raffle for 2 FREE three month memberships for current members who participate. Check out Burke’s Community Calendar for the full line-up of events.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 13:
- Garden Gossip! (Weather permitting), Patricia Coar RD and Katy Edsall Director of Community Wellness – Employee Garden, 4:00 p.m.to 5:00 p.m. Come learn about the physical benefits of gardening, what to plant for the fall season and the nutritional benefits of fresh produce!
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14:
- Senior Safety and Self Awareness with Director of Safety and Security (Lecture), John Schassler – Billings Building, 2nd Floor, Rosedale Room, 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. During this lecture we will review tips for senior safety and self awareness. Light refreshments will be served.
- Senior Cardio Kickboxing Demo (Fitness Demo) – Billings Building, 2nd Floor, Rosedale Room, 10:00 a.m. 10:30 a.m. Join us for a cardio kickboxing demo immediately following our senior safety and self awareness lecture. Please wear breathable clothing and appropriate foot ware (laced sneakers) if you wish to participate.
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 15:
- Balance Out (Fitness Demo), Sports Center, 9:30 a.m. to 10:15 a.m. Balance class for adults with mild balance concerns.
- Anniversary Reception, 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Join us at The Bristal in Armonk for a 15th year anniversary celebration including speakers, food, refreshments and socialization with your friends from the Adult Fitness Center! 90 Business Park Drive Armonk, NY
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 16:
- Vendor Fair, Billings Building, 2nd Floor, 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Join us and vendors from our local community for our open house/vendor fair. It will feature the following representatives: New Balance of Westchester (sample sale), Burke Adult Fitness, Audiology Associates of Westchester (free hearing screenings), The Bristal Assisted Living, Burke Rehabilitation Hospital Pharmacy, Westchester County Dept of Senior Programs & Services and others!
- Zumba Gold® (Fitness Demo)- Sports Center Facility, 8:00 a.m. to 8:50 a.m.
- Introduction to Tai Chi (Fitness Demo): presented by Sifu Gene Nelson, certified Master Tai Chi Instructor, Patient Dining Room, 9:00 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. Join us and learn about the health benefits of Tai Chi as researched by Harvard Medical, the Mayo Clinic and many more prominent health & wellness centers. Participate in learning 3 Tai Chi moves & receive free "How to Do" literature. Comfortable clothes and sneakers are required.
- Burke Historical Walking Tours: Come learn more about the history of Burke on this walking tour of the campus, leaving from the 2nd floor of the Billings Building, Rosedale room at 9:00am and 11:00am, please call (914) 597-2871 for more information or to sign up. The tour will take approximately 1 hour. Those with limited mobility are also invited. Wheelchairs can be provided.
These events are all open to community members. To register fitness demonstrations, please call (914) 587-2805. To register for all other events, please call (914) 587-2871.
You MUST sign a liability prior to participation in fitness demos. Please arrive early for class to allow time to fill out forms or visit the Adult Fitness Center to pick up the forms ahead of time.