In order to help those in need during the holiday season, Burke Rehabilitation Hospital will sponsor a food and coat drive at its main campus and satellite centers throughout Westchester County and the Bronx. The drive will take place from Nov. 18 through Dec. 27. Donated food will be distributed through the Food Bank for Westchester and the coats by Westchester Coalition for the Hungry and Homeless. Both organizations are uniquely positioned to ensure the donations go to those in our community who need assistance.
Non-perishable, unexpired food will be collected at all of Burke’s locations. Items needed by the Food Bank for Westchester are can openers; cans of tuna; granola bars; peanut butter in plastic jars; condensed or powdered milk, cheese or peanut butter crackers; juice boxes; applesauce and fruit cups in plastic containers; toilet paper; hand sanitizer and wipes; tissues; soups and other meals in a can. The Food bank cannot accept food in glass jars.
Many of us take for granted the ability to keep warm. Those who lost power during Super Storm Sandy and did not have heat experienced some of the hardship that many in our community face each winter. For this reason, Burke will also be accepting winter coats that are CLEAN and in good condition that will be distributed to those in need through Westchester Coalition for the Hungry and Homeless. A warm coat can make braving the cold a little easier as the temperatures get colder.
The general public can drop off items at the following locations:
- White Plains - Burke Rehabilitation Center, 785 Mamaroneck Avenue
- Burke Rehabilitation Hospital Lobby – Wood Pavilion (Building 7)
- Outpatient Services (Building 8)
- Billings Building (Building 4)
- Mamaroneck - Burke Rehabilitation Outpatient Clinic - 703 W. Boston Post Road
- Purchase - Burke Rehabilitation Outpatient Clinic – 3020 Westchester Avenue
- Bronx - Burke Rehabilitation Outpatient Clinic – 2826 Westchester Avenue
- Somers - Burke Rehabilitation Outpatient Clinic - 325 Route 100, Suite 106
- Ridge Hill - Burke Rehabilitation Outpatient Clinic - 73 Market Street, Suite 178A
“This food and coat collection encourages Burke employees and community members to join forces to help those who have fallen on hard times,” said Annette Bucci, Senior Administrator for Human Resources at Burke Rehabilitation Hospital and coordinator of the drive. “Many who have, at one point, experienced some type of hardship or need as a result of unemployment or the aftermath from an environmental disaster would like to do something to help others and this is a wonderful way to directly assist those struggling in our immediate community,” she added.
To learn more about how you can help during the drive, please call (914) 597-2345.