Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program
Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program Description
The mission of Burke Rehabilitation Hospital's Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) Rehabilitation Program is to provide the most comprehensive, patient centered and effective rehabilitation to maximize recovery from physical, cognitive and psychological impairments caused by traumatic and acquired spinal cord dysfunction. The interdisciplinary team works collaboratively with you and your family and/or caregiver to facilitate achievement of the best possible physical and mental recovery. Intensive rehabilitation is provided in a safe, secure and structured environment to allow you to reach your full potential and return to an active, productive lifestyle.
The rehabilitation team consists you and your family and/or caregivers, as well as medical, nursing and other rehabilitation personnel who, by virtue of their education and experience, are qualified to work with this patient population. The medical and rehabilitation professionals on the team are responsible for assessing your medical, behavioral and rehabilitation needs, establishing individualized goals in consultation with you and/or your family/caregiver, designing and implementing a treatment program, assessing its outcome, communicating with the team and preparing you and your family for the next phase in the spinal cord injury rehabilitation process.
Scope of Services
Burke’s Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) Rehabilitation Program:
- Maximizes recovery from the physical, cognitive, and psychological impairments caused by spinal cord injury
- Provides the highest quality, patient focused rehabilitation
- Provides rehabilitation through an interdisciplinary approach that emphasizes communication, collaboration and cooperation
- Focuses on the individual’s capabilities and use of compensatory strategies and devices to lessen activity limitations
- Removes or lessens restrictions to participation in life roles and situations to the extent possible, and counsels and educates individuals and families on alternative possibilities for life participation when necessary
- Prepares the individual with a spinal cord injury, family and/or caregiver to make the transition to the next stage of the rehabilitative process
Burke’s intensive and comprehensive program focuses on maximizing each person’s ability to function, through personalized care and individually designed therapy programs. Preventing complications, improving self confidence and optimizing adaptation and education helps patients achieve the highest level of independence possible.
Patient and Family/Caregiver Education
Ongoing education of the individual with a spinal cord injury and the family and/or caregiver is essential in order to maximize recovery from the physical, cognitive and psychological impairments and effectively prepare the individual and family and/or caregiver for the transition to the next stage in the rehabilitation process.
Individuals with a spinal cord injury will receive ongoing education from each discipline throughout his/her stay in order to maximize achievement of each their goals. Much education focuses on the fact that, for many patients, their injuries and resulting conditions are life-changing and lifelong. Coping, resources, and the need for lifelong follow up to deal with changing needs are provided.
Family members and/or caregivers are encouraged to attend and participate in treatment sessions and patient care activities as appropriate. Providing education and training for the family and/or caregivers is an essential component of the patient’s rehabilitation stay and provides an opportunity to successfully transition the patient to the next phase of rehabilitation. In addition, a monthly support group is held at Burke for people with spinal cord injuries.
Located in White Plains, New York, Burke Rehabilitation Hospital's Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Program (SCI Rehab) attracts patients from Westchester County, New York City, Long Island, Northern New Jersey, and Connecticut. Burke also welcomes spinal cord injury patients from across the country and around the world.
Download Our Free Brochure
Related Blog Posts:
- The Benefits of Exercise after Spinal Cord Injury
- Common Questions on Spinal Cord Injuries
- Recovering from Spinal Cord Injury: Treatment Stages
- What Everyone Needs to Know About Spinal Cord Injury
- The Future of Spinal Cord Injury Research in New York State
- The Future of Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation
Request a Callback
Spinal Cord Program Outcomes
See how our Spinal Cord Program has impacted patients' lives.
What Our Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Patients Are Saying
Read about the experiences of former SCI rehab patients.