Barry D. Jordan, M.D., M.P.H.
Barry D. Jordan, M.D., M.P.H. is a board certified neurologist with specialized interests in sports neurology, Alzheimer's disease, and traumatic brain injury. Dr. Jordan is a team physician for U.S.A. Boxing and an Associate Professor of Clinical Neurology at Weill Medical College of Cornell University. For 13 years, he served as the Chief Medical Officer of the New York State Athletic Commission.
Dr. Jordan has completed several fellowships including: a fellowship in public health at Cornell University Medical College, a clinical neurology fellowship at the New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, a fellowship in sports neurology at the Hospital for Special Surgery, and a fellowship in behavioral neurology at U.C.L.A. Medical Center. He also completed his Masters of Public Health at Columbia University.
Currently, Dr. Jordan serves as a Medical Advisory Physician for the National Football League (NFL) Player Benefits and is a member of the NFL Players' Association Mackey-White Health and Safety Committee. He also serves on the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Concussion Task Force and the Pop Warner Medical Advisory Committee.
Dr. Jordan is regularly quoted in the national media for his expertise in the area of traumatic brain injury. In 2013 alone, he has offered medical opinion for the Associated Press, The New York Times, Time Magazine, USA Today, CNN and other prestigious news organizations.
Diplomate, National Board of Medical Examiners
Board Certified in Neurology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Licensure, State of New York
Licensure, State of California
Associate Professor of Clinical Neurology, Weill Cornell Medical College
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1977
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, 1981
- M.P.H., Columbia University School of Public Health, New York, New York, 1997
- Internship, UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, 1982
- Residency, New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center, New York, New York, 1985
- Clinical Fellow, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, 1986
- Fellow, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York, 1987
- Fellow, Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, New York, 1987
- Fellow, Reed Neurological Research Center, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California, 1998
Jordan, B.D. & Varlotta, G.P. (2009). Medical Issues in Boxing. Philadelphia: Saunders.
Jordan, B.D., Tsairis, P., & Warren, R.F. (1998). Sports Neurology (2nd Edition). Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven.
Jordan, B.D. (1993). Medical Aspects of Boxing. Boca Raton: CBC Press.
Jordan, B.D., Tsairis P., & Warren, R.F. (1989). Sports Neurology. Rockville: Aspen Press.