May is National Stroke Awareness Month. Take time to learn more about stroke awareness, prevention and research.
Every 40 seconds someone has a stroke. One out of six people will suffer a stroke in their lifetime. Stroke is the leading cause of disability in the U.S. and is the fifth cause of death. Learn more about stroke and warning signs so you can be a stroke hero.
While some risk factors for stroke can't be changed there are several risk factors that you can change. Ask your primary care physician about how you can prevent stroke and take action.
Researchers at Burke Medical Research Institute work tirelessly to combat the growing number of people who suffer from stroke. Learn more about the research studies being conducted at Burke.
- Dr. Putrino's lab piloting gamified stroke therapy, using a motion sensor stroke survivors are flying an airplane in a video game.
- Dr. Cho's lab focus on hypertension, diabetes and obesity to foster acute neuroprotective strategies for stroke prevention.
- Dr. Edwards' lab conducts clinical trials using Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for stoke motor recovery.
- Dr. Ratan's lab investigates how cells die after an experimental hemorrhagic stroke to develop new treatment strategies.
- Dr. Cho's lab explores how brain-derived neurotrophic factor, a protein in humans, contributes to stroke recovery.
Burke Medical Research Institute accepts donations for stroke research. Learn how you can make a gift towards stroke research.